Saturday, October 11, 2008

"Gotta have it" syndrome

I saw this quote on a random blog and it really touched me. Especially after having a garage sale with my sweet sister-in-law and precious niece today who were dead-dog tired after a long night for an "away" football game and then preparing their garage for the sale. I tend to collect "stuff" and it felt so good to get rid of so many things that I don't need and that other people were so excited to have. My goal is to be a better steward of my resources and to live for the joy of living, not for stuff to collect. For those of you who know me, you know that this is probably WAYYYY overdue.

"It doesn't matter what you have, someone else always has something bigger or better. And those decorating magazines can often give us great ideas but also a dose of the "gotta have it" syndrome. Maybe it's time to take a little break. Instead of focusing on "home beautiful", concentrate on what makes your home warm and caring. A place where you can express your God-given talents. No mater how little or how much you have, you can experience the results of a godly home. Make it more of a sanctuary in the best sense. A place of security, trust, and comfort. That comes from you. There's no decorating scheme in the world that can replace the role you play in your home!"

from "The One Minute Home Organizer"
by Emilie Barnes

2 comments:

joyce said...

i love this quote too! it is so true, and a great reminder of what really makes a home beautiful...which i remember your home being in all those aspects from high school days w/jen & co!

Kim Davison said...

Oh, thanks so much, Joyce... I have wonderful memories of you girls!! :)